Requirements for selling alcohol

  • Jul. 06

Fancy yourself as a master cocktail maker? Can you see yourself as the proud landlord of your very own pub? Or maybe you’re planning to open a brand-new venue, and a few drinks are on offer. All these dreams have something in common — you need an alcohol licence to sell alcohol.

But don’t let that dampen your spirits. It might seem like a difficult journey, but with this article from Flogas, who can help start-up businesses by offering the best business gas prices, we’re going to untangle the topic of alcohol licencing.

Know the basics

Any venue looking to supply or sell alcohol in England or Wales needs to have its own licence. Licences are authorised by the licensing authority, such as a local council. This legislation is overseen by the Home Office, and is defined is as follows:

  1. Businesses that sell or supply alcohol on a permanent basis, such as pubs, need to apply for a premises licence.
  2. Those who plan to authorise the sale of alcohol must apply for a personal licence, alongside the premises licence, if they are also the owner of the business in that premises.

Your local council will need you to pay a fee and fill out an application form. As well as the local authority, you will also have to send your application to the police and other responsible authorities; these responsible authorities can include:

  • Local trading standards
  • Planning authority
  • Local fire and rescue
  • The primary care trust (PCT) or local health board (LHB)
  • Environmental health authority
  • Any other licensing authority in whose area part of the premises is located.

Licensing the premises

If you are going to sell alcohol on any sort of premises (a vehicle, vessel, or movable structure), you will need a premises licence. To successfully apply for this licence, you will be asked a series of questions including the following:

  • General information about your premises, like the address.
  • Your details as an applicant.
  • The operating schedule, including the date you want the licence to start from on the premises.
  • Tick which licensable activities your business will be doing. You should also indicate what days and times you want the licence to be active from. This also includes the provision of regulated entertainment, such as indoor sporting events, live music and recorded music.
  • Under the new licensing laws, you should also stipulate who you wish to be the designated premises supervisor (DPS).
  • The opening hours.
  • How you propose to encourage the four key licensing objectives, which are: public safety, the prevention of crime and disorder, the prevention of public nuisance, the protection of children from harm.
  • The planning of the premises and any advertising on or around the premises that you wish to use.

Licensing yourself

Your general pub staff don’t need their own licences, but your pub’s required premises supervisor needs to have a personal licence.

If the business is yours, you need to apply for a personal licence even if you are the owner of the premises licence. Furthermore, anyone who works in a pub should be authorised to do so by the personal licence holder.

The purpose of this licence is to enforce a professional standard on anyone who is managing or running the pub.

With a better idea of what you need, your dream of running your own pub is one step closer.